Monday, March 23, 2009

From a "B" to an "A"

Much of today was spent on getting back into the swing of coming back to school from spring break. Often times, vacation ends up being both a blessing and a curse because it's so difficult to transition back from a "vacation" state of mind.

The second half of this semester seems as though it will be challenging so I hope to stay on top of all of the course work laid ahead of me. As much as the vacation was nice, its go time now and time is definitely not a luxury for me to say the least!!!

Coming back to from break also commences the beginning of a new chapter in my life with regards to opportunities and experiences. I hope that my life will begin to reflect a "faith in action" way of living where my actions begin to speak louder than my words. And being usually the one with lots to say, this is a very BIG step towards betterment...I hope! haha

I shall leave you all with an observation I made today in class.

I was given back a paper in which I had worked very hard at. The grade I received reflected the opinion of our seasoned professor who thought that I deserved a B+. Now if that is the final opinion of our professional scholar, then who am I to argue that assessment?

That seems to be a common attitude we all take when life dishes out whatever it deems you're worthy of. Many just take it and accept that to be the only answer and continue on with life without confidence to go against the grain or to challenge the "popular" opinion. Or otherwise understood as hopelessness.

I suppose when going up against the so-called "experts" of the field there isn't much edge-wise we can contribute to help make our argument worthy of examination. So often times, I feel as though we take ourselves out of the battle before it even begins.

I wasn't satisfied with my grade. I worked hard on the assignment given and I knew that I deserved an A. And although I also knew that if I were to boldly challenge the intellect of my professor I would potentially be setting myself up for major humiliation I wanted at least justification as to why I was given a B+. So humiliation was a price I was willing to pay.

Turns out, the professor made a mistake and asked me to correct a few things and turn the paper back in so that I can be given full credit for the work that I had accomplished.

I could have just as easily walked out of that class, paper in hand, accepting what was given to me and never look back. I would have avoided confrontation and rejection, a B+ is still a B+, and I should have just been grateful for given at least that, right?

But an A is sooo much better!

Sometimes the difference between a "B" and an "A" is just a little bit of confidence mixed with the affirmation that your intention is to seek after the truth...

That road, although seemingly painful at times, pays you back with greater dividends!


Looks like the second half of school is not gonna be so bad after all. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's great news!!! You make me wish I went back to all my professors in college and try to change my grade.... But 10 years too late I suppose for me! I always knew you were an A student!!!

    Welcome to the world of blogging! You'll find that it's actually very fun and therapeutic. I am very excited to read about your experiences and thoughts in weeks and months to come!

    ReplyDelete